Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Cruising!


Okay, I think I’m getting the hang of this cruise thing. It’s every man for himself!

We slept late and then went up to the breakfast buffet at prime feeding time. There were absolutely no free tables to be found, so we stood around with our trays for about ten minutes until a waiter took pity on us and located a table for us. Afterwards, I wanted to lounge by the pool, but we forgot to set our clocks ahead (which I don’t understand, since we haven’t crossed any time zones yet, but maybe they’re just getting us prepared), so instead of being 9:30, it was really 10:30 and every lounge chair on every deck was being used. We finally managed to locate two chairs, but they were in the shade so we didn’t stay long. I think cruises can bring out the best and the worst in people; I watched this woman look for two empty chairs and she was being very polite, asking people if chairs were vacant. She finally located two, but as she was negotiating her way through the maze of chairs to get to them, another woman threw her towels from an overhead balcony down onto the chairs and claimed them as her own! I couldn’t believe it.


Robin and I went to a wine tasting this afternoon, but the best part of it was the accompanying cheese and cracker platter. Totally yummy. So yummy that I had no appetite for dinner, which was formal attire tonight. I wore my gorgeous chocolate gown with the beaded neckline, and Robin work a long black skirt with a beautiful beaded sweater. I ordered linguine with mushrooms in a champagne and truffle cream sauce, but it was awful. I couldn’t even tolerate the smell. I had a few bites of Robin’s salmon, and it was more than enough.

Afterwards, we had our picture taken with the ship’s Captain, and then went to the evening show which was totally fabulous; a collection of songs and dances from some of Broadway’s greatest musicals. We changed into something more comfortable and went to Bolero’s nightclub to listen to the steel band and watch the salsa dancing. Very fun, but I am completely wiped out.

No comments: