Saturday, February 16, 2008

What a Difference a Day Makes!

So here we are, in sunny Florida, and it's hard to believe there's any part of the country that isn't sunny and 80 degrees! Our flight down was extremely turbulent, and I'm not just talking about the air currents! SkyBus does not have assigned seating, so it's pretty much a free-for-all melee once you're on board. We didn't get to sit together, but I can't complain too much since many families were separated.


But once we arrived in Punta Gorda....ah.....so beautiful!


Yesterday, we went shopping and I just about went broke buying swimwear and sandals for the girls. The beach, however, made it all worthwhile. Gorgeous, aqua-green swells that buoyed you up, while (no kidding) dolphins broke the water less than 50 yards away! Pelicans did low fly-by's while beach-combers stood knee-deep in the surf with their wire baskets, panning for shark's teeth. Sheer heaven.


Last night, we went to the local country club for karaoke night and cheap beer. Here's a picture of me and my sister, Robin, swilling down the local ale (Bud light - ugh). Except for the kids, we were the youngest ones there by about twenty years. Sheeze. I hope I have the same energy these people do when I retire! Later, John and the girls got up and entertained the crowd, singing Garth Brook's I've Got Friends in Low Places. Very nice. Here's the picture:


So we're off today to this great place on the water called Fisherman's Village where you can sit and drink and watch the boats come in, then back to the beach. Later...

1 comment:

Cathryn Parry said...

I'm warmer already thinking about you in sunny Florida. I loved the pictures. Have fun!